Thursday, July 18, 2013

Review: Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Title: Requiem
Author: Lauren Oliver
Published: March 2013 by HarperCollins
Genre: Young Adult Dystopian
Source: Borrowed
Rating: 5 out of 5
Requiem (Delirium, #3)
Summary from Goodreads: Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has been transformed. The nascent rebellion that was under way in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven—pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators now infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels, and as Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor.

Requiem is told from both Lena’s and Hana’s points of view. The two girls live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.


--

Requiem was everything I could have asked from the end of this trilogy and more. After following Lena through Delirium and Pandemonium I was anxious to see how her story would end. Both of the previous books were great, but they were also different from each other. I am not disappointed in the least by the direction Requiem took. I'm in awe Lauren Oliver and amazing storytelling.

I read Delirium back when it first came out and the dystopian craze was in full swing. I remember thinking at the time that I really liked the book, but felt more connected to Lena's best friend Hana than to Lena. Well, I now feel even more connected to Hana because the chapters in Requiem alternate between both her and Lena's point of view. I loved this addition to the series finale. I think it was imperative for the reader to see things from the point of view of someone on the other side. Who more perfect for that purpose than Hana, Lena's best friend?

Honestly, all I want to do is fangirl over Lauren Olivers fantastic, wonderful, writing. I felt what Lena felt. I understood how torn she was over love, and over duty. I ached with her. I could feel Hana trapped behind the glass wall of her cure. I understood her inability to see exactly how muffled she was. I felt all the emotions, guys, and it was amazing.

The ending! I was practically gasping for air while tearing through the final pages, trying to suck up as much information as possible. I adored the ending. Iit was perfect. We get the end of Lena's story. We come full circle. I didn't want anything more, and though we don't get specifics of the fate of Lena's world, we are left with a hopeful and joyous feeling.

Requiem was the best of the trilogy, and I highly recommend all three. Lauren Oliver's writing is beautiful, poetic, and makes you hope the book will never stop.

1 comment:

  1. Aw this is such a phenomenal trilogy, and I am so glad you found Requiem to be the perfect ending. I am a massive fan of this series too, but I'm also really sad that it has come to an end. :(

    I totally agree with you that Lauren Oliver's writing style is beautiful and poetic. I can't wait to see what she has in store for us!

    Thankyou so much for sharing this wonderful review with us, Taylor. :D

    Jessica
    Booked Up!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you!